19 October 2013

Then came the text messages

Here’s a (not so nice) little update on the ‘Go home’ debacle. Turns out the UKBA/Home Office has now sent 40,000 texts demanding that people leave the country. Of course, this has sparked outrage over how much the messages may have cost UK taxpayers. But for me the best (read ‘worst’) part is what the texts actually say:

“Message from the UK Border Agency. You are required to leave the UK as you no longer have right to remain.”

Apparently those who received the texts included several hundred people who have lived in Britain for decades and do have the right to remain. Can you imagine? If I got a text like this, my first thought would be ‘erm, how do they have my number?’ The second would be ‘why do they think it’s okay to talk to me like this?’ And then I’d promptly delete the message. It really does beggar belief that such a huge, important authority as the Home Office has made such a mess of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment